Schools in Spain - Training your children in a foreign country

Schools in Spain - Training your children in a foreign country

As in any other country, there are two types of schools / colleges for your children -

publicly (in Spain, it refers to state schools) or privately.

Private International Colleges across the Costa Blanca provide English

The curriculum is taught in English. Fees are generally much cheaper in

private schools than they are in the UK and some of them, in an attempt to appeal to

Spanish parents, now offer Spanish speaking students the opportunity to sit

National Spanish Bachillerato exams to enable them to enter

Spanish university system.

If you are worried about whether your child will be able to handle it

trauma in a new language, a new school and a new country, take heart

from my own experience. I have two daughters who were 6 and 10 years old when we

came to Spain 5 years ago. Although I considered the private way of education, I

liked the smaller classes and the friendly atmosphere of the local state village

school. Now 11 and 15, both girls are fluent in Valencian (the local

regional language, which is a cross between French and Italian) and Castilian (the

national spanish language). It only took 12 months to learn and my youngest is

consistently the only member of her entire Spanish class to get full marks in her

spanish exams! Generally the younger your child is when you move to

another country, the easier they will integrate with their classmates and then learn


During the Spanish curriculum, your child will be taught mathematics (think about it

Calculations are made differently on the continent, so you can get it difficult

the beginning of helping with homework!), Castiliano (as English grammar but

of course in Spanish), Conocemiento del Medi (a mixture of geography, geology and

biology studied up to the age of 12), Plastica (art), Gym - as in Spain

contains a certain theory / writing course, Religion (Catholicism - though

Your child may opt for this and take Etica - which should be another subject though

ends up being free to get homework), Sociales (History and Geography

for the older students), Naturales (Natural Sciences / Biology for Older Students),

Drama, Prensa (History of Journalism and Press), Tutoria (one hour student / teacher

communication to discuss work or social issues), plus also languages ​​- French,

English and Valencian (regional language). In some schools, more than half of

Your childrens lessons will be conducted in valencian rather than castilian (the national

Spanish language), good if your child is at an age where they will absorb new ones

language easily (usually up to 10 years of age), more difficult for older children

where the level of study is more complex.

In many of the villages, valencian is it

language choice of most Spaniards, but without exception they will also come

speak castilian But if you want your child to integrate with the local city children,

It is a good idea to learn the two languages. You would be surprised how fast

they pick it up at the playground. If you choose a Spanish school, do not expect to

Shown around by the main teacher when you go and register your child - for some

Reason, this is not the finished case in Spain, so you can be exposed to an empty star

if you ask !! Books and lunch are also charged. Books should normally be

bought from a local store and can amount to quite a bit of money. You will be

provided with a list when your child starts school. Lunch is paid by standing

order from your bank account so you have to get your school with you

details. Each school sets its own course, so ask first.

To register your child in Spanish, you should get the school one

Certado de Empadronamiento, which is a certificate of residence in your

city ​​(you can get it at the local town hall or Ayuntamiento by delivering yours

passport and ownership of your property or a lease), and your childs

Pass. Because the school needs the paperwork for every child enrolled in school, that

It is a good idea to get a Certado de Empadronamiento for each member of

family and keep copies as they will be needed for other things as well.

In September, my eldest daughter at Xabia International College started to

take her gcse Because she is fluent in Spanish, she will be able to sit her A level

Spanish at the same time as well as the Spanish Schools Leaving Certificate - ESO

(Educacion Secondaria Obligatoria), which gives her the opportunity to choose from one

English further education or Spanish.

Home | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© Copyright 2020